Thursday, December 18, 2008

Stop Obsessing

These are excellent. Many of these I do already, but we artists can always use help to get us back on track.

15 Ways to Stop Obsessing
Tips for how to reel in your ruminations and keep your peace in the present moment.
By Therese J. Borchard
For as long as I can remember, I’ve struggled with obsessive thoughts, with severe ruminations that can interfere with daily life. My thoughts get stuck on something and, like a broken record, repeat a certain fear over and over and over again until I scream out loud, “STOP IT!”
The French call Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) “folie de doute,” or “the doubting disease.” And that’s what obsessions are—a single doubt caught in an endless loop of thoughts. But even those not diagnosed with OCD can struggle with obsessions. In fact, I have yet to meet a depressive who doesn’t ruminate, especially in our age of anxiety. Every day gives sensitive types like myself plenty of material to obsess about. So I’m constantly pulling out the tools that I’ve acquired over time to win against my thoughts, to develop confidence--the antidote for doubt--to take charge of my brain, and to STOP OBSESSING. I hope they work for you too.
Read the first way to stop obsessing.
Therese J. Borchard writes the blog Beyond Blue on Beliefnet.
Continued on Slide 2: Name the Beast »

No comments: